A Father’s Day spread courtesy of Jenny Morris
Jenny Morris, also known as the Giggling Gourmet is one of South African’s most-loved food personalities, author, writer, radio and TV presenter, celebrity Chef, teacher, caterer and proud Siemens Brand Ambassador. Jenny has cooked for many celebrities and even royals including Prince Charles, Thabo Mbeki, Charlize Theron and Al Gore to name a few. But at the end of a busy working day, Jenny is still a family women and enjoys creating dishes that unites and spoils her family.
Here’s what you will need for a butter chicken recipe:
- 3 Tablespoons of Ghee or Vegetable Oil
- 6 Chicken Breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned)
- 1 Tablespoon of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon of finely chopped fresh Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon of crushed Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon of Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon of ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon of ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Chilli Powder (or more if you like it hot)
- Pinch of Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 Cardamom Pods (toasted and seeds ground)
- 400 g Large Juicy Tomatoes (peeled and grated)
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Fresh Cream
- 100 g Cold Butter (cut into small pieces)
To garnish off the ambrosial Chicken dish you will need:
- 4 Tablespoons Cashew Nuts (lightly toasted and chopped)
- Fresh Coriander
Here’s how to put everything together:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Ghee or Oil in a saucepan, and gently sauté the chicken pieces in batches till half cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside till late.
- Add the remaining Ghee to the saucepan and heat, now add the Mustard Seeds and fry for a few minutes until it pops. Add the Onion, Ginger and Garlic, and cook for a few minutes till fragrant. Stir in the Garam Masala, Cumin, Coriander and Chilli Powder – do not let the spices burn! Add a little more Ghee and cook for a few minutes.
- Now add the Sugar, Salt, Pepper, Cardamom, Tomatoes, Tomato Paste and Chicken Stock. Bring to the boil and cook till the sauce has become fragrant.
- Pour the sauce into a food processor and blend till smooth. Return to the saucepan and add the cream. Bring the sauce to a simmer, adjust the seasoning, and return the Chicken to the pot. Warm through.
- Just before you are ready serve, stir in the chopped Butter a few pieces at a time. Spoon the Butter Chicken into a bowl, and garnish with chopped Coriander and Chopped Cashew Nuts.
- Serve with steaming hot Basmati Rice.
- This recipe will serve 4 people.
For more information about Jenny’s innovations and products, feel free to visit her website; http://www.jennymorris.co.za/.
For more information about how Siemens can help you to bring recipes to life through innovation and technology, feel free to visit their website; https://www.siemens.com/za/en/home.html.
Get it Joburg West – Dec 2017 / Jan 2018