Beauty & Fashion
Stylist and professional hair and make-up artist from Roodepoort, Erin Smylie Walsh, shares some tips on how to rock wearing white.
‘It’s the season to step away from dark and dull colours and get some light in your life. Don’t be afraid to experiment with white and take some inspiration from this page on how to wear it.’
• Confidence is key when wearing white. For some it can be an intimidating colour to wear head-to-toe, especially when you are a mom on the run! White can work as a casual or smart outfit and can transition well from day to night.
• Wear beige or tan underwear to avoid having it show through your white outfit. Seamless underwear is always a great investment – no lines on show!
• Simplicity is key when wearing white. White is a powerful eye-catching colour and doesn’t need too much done with it. Incorporate one statement piece into your look if you want it to be a little edgy.
• If you struggle to style items of clothing, you can’t go wrong with a white-on-white outfit.
• White usually requires delicate accessories. Metallic accents work perfectly with white and pop against the white canvas.
• Go for a more neutral shoe if not wearing a white shoe – beige, tan or soft grey looks good. Silver, bronze or gold metallic sandals or flip flops also go well.
• For a bolder look, adding a dash of colour can instantly give white a stylish direction. Limit any pops of colour to a maximum of three.
• Keeping your make-up soft and simple compliments a white outfit beautifully. To create a fresh look, keep your foundation light and dewy. Applying a contour and adding a great highlight to your cheekbones will give you a healthy glow. Add soft neutral eyeshadow with a subtle eyeliner and build your eyelashes with mascara. Complement the look with filled-in brows, to frame your eyes. Adding a bit of blush in a coral tone will just flush your cheeks. A red lipstick can finish off any look.
• White always looks better on a slightly tanned, bronzed skin. Using an overnight self-tanner, going for a spray tan or just getting a safe, consistent natural tan is far better than using bronzer on yourself the day you want to wear white, because the bronzer can easily rub off onto your clothes.
• Embroidery gives a detail option that is a subtle and beautiful element.
How to whiten your clothes:
Get it Joburg West – March 2018