Décor & Gardening
Create your dream bathroom!
“Renovating your bathroom is possibly the most rewarding renovation you will do in your home, but it is also one of the toughest. Your bathroom is invariably in the private inner sanctuary of your house and a full renovation where the bathroom is stripped bare, is very invasive. Expect delays, noise, dust and loads of subcontractors, says Sandy.
Every trade will work in this space – the builder, tiler, plumber, electrician and cabinet maker are all part of the journey towards a new living bathing space. This is a space that is functional as well as beautiful, which offers the calm place required for the rituals of elimination, cleansing, beautifying and in addition a room for calm meditation or intimacy.
Where to begin? It is daunting. If one can use the services of a specialist designer, or architect or draftsperson, then this is strongly recommended. Only once you have the plans in hand and know the available space that you have, for the various stations, can you venture out to choose your bathroom sanitary-ware, mixers, tiles and accessories. This is an area that will be addressed in a later issue, due to the extremely wide range of products available.
A few pointers:
- Opt for larger showers and smaller baths, particularly where water usage is an issue.
- Always sit in a bath before you make your final purchase decision.
- Consider whether there is space for a neat shelf for storage, the Bathroom Butler glass shelf is a great choice
- Showers are most functional when they have an overhead and a hand-held shower option
- When considering storage in the shower, there are various shower shelf or basket options, available from Bathroom Butler in their 9100 Series Premium Collection
“Carefully consider your vanity options and note that a slimmer slab fascia is popular and integrated basin slabs are dominating, and for good reason. Vanity design varies and will depend on the mood you want to create. Basin choice affects the mixer you require, and this can increase your cost if you need a tall or off-wall mixer option. Awareness, with regard your product selection, is key to keeping to your budget and ensuring functionality.” says Sandy.
Get it JHB West – July 2018