For the love of seafood!
850ml vegetable stock
280ml coconut milk
salt and black pepper, to taste
20 steamed, shelled mussels
400g salmon, cut into chunks
juice of 1 lime (about 2tbsp)
2 red bird’s eye chillies, chopped (optional)
350g rice vermicelli noodles, cooked
1 handful of coriander or basil or mint leaves, to garnish
onion sprouts, to garnish
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
3 stalks lemongrass
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon turmeric
6 lime leaves
1/2 cup grated palm sugar
1/2 cup Thai fish sauce
3 green chillies, chopped
3 red chillies, chopped
Blend all the ingredients to make a fine paste
1. Heat the stock in a large saucepan.
2. When hot, add the laksa paste and simmer for two to three minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk. Continue to simmer for five minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the steamed, shelled mussels and simmer for one minute.
5. Add the salmon and simmer for two minutes.
5. Add the lime juice and chillies, if using. Bring the soup almost to boiling point, cover the pan and turn off the heat.
6. Reheat the rice vermicelli noodles, drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
7. Moisten the noodles with a little of the soup from the seafood pot.
8. Serve the noodles, soup and seafood in four large bowls. Garnished with herbs and onion sprouts.
Recipe courtesy of www.food24.com.
Get it JHB West – May 2018