Stay safe and insured during your Easter travels
According to Hannes Smith, Head of Personal Lines Sales & Operations at Old Mutual Insure, travellers should utilise a checklist of security and insurance measures that they can complete before going on holiday.
“The impact of a burglary on a family can be both emotionally and financially devastating. For this reason, we urge homeowners to take precautions before embarking on their holidays this Easter,” Smith says.
There are a few easy checks that you can implement before going away to safeguard your home and your family before going on holiday this Easter:
- Check that your alarm is in working order.
- If possible, get someone to stay at your home while you are away.
- If it is not possible to have someone stay at your home, ask a neighbour or friend to keep an eye on your home.
- Provide neighbours and friends with your security company contact details should there be any suspicious activity.
- Make sure your insurance premiums are up to date.
- Switch off your geyser and other water points before you leave to prevent any damage from a burst geyser.
If you are travelling over the Easter period, Old Mutual Insure has the following tips:
- Get a good night sleep before you leave on your trip so that you are well-rested for the road ahead.
- Take a break from your trip every 2 hours. Stop at a petrol station and stretch your legs before getting on your way.
- Pack in a few snacks and energy drinks for the trip.
- Don’t use your cell phone or do anything that may distract you while travelling. Be alert and aware while driving.
- Most important, make sure your car and trailer/caravan are checked and ready for a long trip.
For those who will be travelling abroad, Old Mutual Insure has recently launched a competitive, fully automated, online travel insurance solution called travelsure to keep them insured during their travels. The online quoting process is simple, seamless and paperless allowing you to purchase a policy within minutes.
When purchasing your travel insurance, make sure you are aware of the following:
- If you are using the travel insurance on your credit card, be sure to understand exactly what and how much you are covered for, as this travel insurance might not be sufficient for your needs and you may want to top up or purchase a more comprehensive travel insurance policy
- Declare any pre-existing medical conditions with your travel insurer and with your airline. This will provide you with the opportunity to check whether the pre-existing medical condition is covered by your policy and prepare the airline in the event that they need to make an emergency landing
- Print and/or have all your travel insurance documents handy in case of an emergency when you travel
- If you plan on participating in any adventurous sports and activities, be sure to check whether your travel insurance policy covers these particular activities you will be participating in, in the event of an emergency
- In the event that you need to lodge a travel claim, ensure that you collect the correct supporting documentation required which will depend on the nature of your claim (e.g. medical report; police report etc.)
Allow Old Mutual Insure to give to peace of mind while you make the most of your holiday.
Get it JHB West – July 2018