Décor & Gardening
Get your geyser and generator ready for winter
Mandy Barrett of insurance brokerage and risk advisors, Aon South Africa recommends that you take advantage of the time you have now to prepare for the ensuing cold and any unexpected emergencies this winter.
- Cold winter temperatures and burst geysers and pipes go together like salt and pepper. Insulation is always a good idea for your geyser and water pipes. Use a geyser blanket to insulate your geyser and lagging on the exposed water pipes in your roof – not only does this protect against a sharp drop in temperature which can cause a burst pipe or geyser, but it will also save you money in the long run as water will stay hotter for longer, saving on electricity costs.
- Service your geyser and check that all the seals, valves, stop-cock, thermostat, and element are in good working order. Make sure that your drip tray is correctly installed and placed – should you experience a burst geyser – the drip dray will help channel the escaping water to outside your roof, saving on ceiling damage – a stitch in time saves nine.
- With the cold comes the possibility of power outages as demand on the electricity grid increases. Make sure your generator is professionally installed by a qualified electrician and get a COC for the installation. Also, confirm that your generator has a transfer switch to ensure that you can safely switch between electricity from the grid and from the generator when required.
- Make sure that your generator is installed in a well-ventilated location as it emits deadly toxic gases and should never be utilized
- If you are storing backup fuel for your generator, make sure you are using appropriate containers that are clearly marked, well out of reach of children and stored in a sensible location.
Get it JHB West – May 2018
Say goodbye to tough stubble!
We are giving away three BarberShop hampers!
In need of a really special treat?
Win a trip for two to Mauritius worth R75 000!
Fat Bastard. No. Not dad. Obviously. The wine.
We’ve got an extra special hamper to give away … and like love, it’s one you just can’t buy. A luxurious box with Fat Bastard Golden Reserve 2017, along with Dark Chocolate Coated Almonds.
A fairy tale for modern times
Being massive fans of everything royal (especially the recent wedding between Meghan Markle and Prince Harry) we absolutely cannot wait for the release of this 124-page royal bookazine, The Royal Wedding: A People Magazine Exclusive Collector’s Souvenir (R100).
Stand a chance to win a Pedigree hamper for your pup
PEDIGREE® will be giving 3 lucky readers each a chance to win a PEDIGREE® puppy pack hamper with all the essentials your little one needs to start off on the right track.
Sugar-free sweets to indulge your sweet tooth
Win a packet each from the four delicious flavours: Eucalyptus (fresh minty), Ginger-Orange (spicy citrus), Lemon (refreshingly tangy) and Salvia (zesty sage).